Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Most EduPunks are paid by the establishment

I have been taken by this EduPunk term. I grew up in the 70's and associated with the music scene of that time. I listened to the Sex Pistols, I still look back at the depth of rebellion Sid Vicious incarnated. I have mind blowing memories of Joey Shithead and the Skulls [before they became DOA (our most famous Vancouver punk bank)] playing during my high school graduation year. No true Punk would consciously take money from the establishment they rebelled against. Yet, this current set of EduPunks mostly work for traditional established education institutions. I strongly suggest you trace most people writing about and considering themselves EduPunks back to where they derive there livelihood. They are not EduPunks! They are masquerading as Punks, and as long as people clutter up the blogosphere claiming to be EduPunks while also being paid by the establishment can only perpetuate these flawed traditional education structures. If they were true Punks they would leave their day jobs and use their mindshare to disrupt the structures they claim to be rebelling against. Hypocrites the lot of them!!!!

8 comments:

Mike Caulfield said...

Hey, actually most punks were on the dole. SO techinically they were taking money from that which they rebelled against.

But that aside, don't get hung up on the term. The term took off, but it's applied to a bunch of people that have been pushing for open education, loosely coupled architecture, syndication based courseware, and PLEs over LMS's,etc for many years now. And just scanning your blog there's probably a lot of overlap between your work and theirs.

I'm for being where i can make the most difference. I'm not into revolution as self expression. I'm a pragmatist, and that pragmatism is if Jim Groom goofing on the edupunk concept gets the idea that you believe in to a wider audience, then he should be congratulated for his contribution. And it will help all of us if we use the brief moment this meme is airborne to use it to push substantive issues to the fore rather than dismissing it ad hominem.

And yeah, as one of the people that helped popularize the term, I'm biased, but I also, as a political activist, understand how change happens -- and it's often by turning an imperfect term into a perfect opportunity.

D'Arcy Norman said...

mike, I'm pretty sure the post had a strong tongue-in-cheek component, as have all of the "edupunk" posts so far. Don't dissect the metaphor :-)

I'm part of The Establishment, but that's actually a good thing. I can't imagine any real change coming from some lone individual quietly tilting at windmills... Those of us trying to affect change from within may be able to (eventually) make a difference.

Peter Rawsthorne said...

No Worries. Dissection was never my strong suit. Even though most of what I wrote was in the spirit of the edupunk, I do feel that for the change to happen it will only occur once the edupunks exit the establishment... All great movements are all started by individuals. Join us, leave your cushy day job, become a true edupunk!

Mike Caulfield said...

Oh, crap. Caught being sincere again ;).

I actually tried to change the system from the outside for a while, as part of a company called Cognitive Arts back at the height of dot com phase 1.

There's a bunch of reasons that approach didn't work. Now I'm in the institutions, and I see other reasons change doesn't happen.

I *am* torn on it...change is really really hard, much harder than building stuff or thinking stuff. I'm still looking for how this gets done...

Leigh Blackall said...

Who did the Sex Pistols sign to? A sell out is a sell out

Leigh Blackall said...

"Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." WTF.. is this the Rawsthorne establishment here?

Peter Rawsthorne said...

Sex Pistols sold out to EMI... But it was Johnny Rotten who dis the selling. IMHO, Sid Vicious will always stand as an independent, one who never sold out, well maybe at the pearly gates, even then I would wonder ;)

Leigh Blackall said...

A funny picture that, SV at the gates telling St Peter to gstick it where the sun shines! :)