Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Software Architecture needs Process

Today we were discussing staff build up for a company I am involved with.  Hiring staff is an interesting and very complex process when you think about it.  Finding the right person to fill a job is very hard.  Particulalry when you are building upon a staff of a 24 person start-up.  Getting the right people, in the right job, at the right time, can have a huge impact on success.  All this said, one of the other leads asked me what I wanted to do.  It was an easy question to answer; “Process and architecture, I want to ensure we have a good process in place so I can start influencing architecture. Without process how can I ensure that the architecture I drop in at the begining of the development process, pops out at the end. You need process to implement architecture.” Quite a brash thing to say, and true.  It would seem that theCarnagie Mellon Software Engineering Institute would agree with me.