|Learning happens with a story, some educational resources and good friends.|
How to get started
I believe there are two primary activities along the trajectory of self-directed learning online; the consumption of materials and the production of materials. Start with consumption, then very quickly get into production.
- Start with blogging. There is no shortage of research indicating that reflecting upon a situation deepens the understanding of the situation. Writing to a blog is exactly that, and to have the blog public only increases a persons quality and further deepens learning.
- Get a better understanding of RSS. RSS is the how you are notified of when your favorite new information becomes available.
- Set up an RSS reader. Setting up your own RSS reader is like creating your own personalized online magazine that only contains articles you are interested in.
- Start tagging. Tagging allows you to create a personalized catalog of all the information you find on the internet.
- Further develop your producer skills. Write lots of blog posts about what you are interested, reflect (in writing) about all that you have learned. (Note: creating learning resources for your consumption on how to develop producer skills will be a big part of this blog over the next while)
- Iterate; Share... revisit old ideas, build on current ideas, have fun, write, blog post, learn, revisit old ideas, build on current ideas, have fun, write, blog post, learn, do it again...
- Engage; Share...tag interesting articles, subscribe to RSS feeds of interest, tag interesting articles, subscribe to RSS feeds of interest,do it again...