Thursday, May 24, 2012

Making a badge

With my next step of implementing the OBI I needed to create my own badge. I wanted it to be original (make it myself), follow my badge coloring system, use open resources, and be associated with the wikiversity course I am building. All of this is possible by using GIMP, learning about gimp on youtube, and finding some open resources.One nice item I stumbled across is the NounProject which started back in December of 2010 as a kickstarter project. This project provides an opensource collection of symbols. All good for badges. I found myself a couple of symbols I could use across my badge taxonomy. I also found a couple of good youtube tutorials on how the use gimp to create badges. I watched a few and the ones I felt were the best I have embedded here. One for creating a badge and the other for creating text around a circle. Combined they provide a good couple lessons on how to create a badge. And adding the nounproject symbol is a simple drag and drop. All good, and oh so much fun...

Create a badge with Gimp


Semi-circular text with Gimp


Even though it is fairly easy to create your own badges, it is a really good idea to engage a proven designer. With the emerging badge economy and the benefits to promote your brand (institutional or otherwise) that will be available through badges, the designer could be of great benefit.

No comments: