I see three primary user roles in which to base the user stories, these are;
- Steward - this role provides stewardship (and administration, when necessary) of the community. They are usually community members who mostly have an eye to keeping to community healthy and active. Sometimes they take on an administrative role when technical issues arise.
- Member - someone who participates by contributing and engaging with the community. This participation can come in many forms; leading discussions, adding rich media content, organizing companion face-to-face activities, speaking up and adding to discussion, linking to relevant and related materials, using the community hashtag, and consuming content from multiple devices.
- Lurker - someone who consumes the community content from many of their devices, yet never participates by contributing content. Don't underestimate the value of lurkers to your community!
This is the set of user stories I have identified for the community of practice which crosses organizational boundaries while also honoring client confidentiality. Please feel free to add others as comments to this blog post...
- As a member I want to participate in community discussion.
- As a member I want to learn new things regarding the communities subject domain.
- As a member I want a way to pull notifications.
- As a member I want to be able to block notifications.
- As a member I want to add content (text, images, video, presentations, etc) to the community.
- As a member I want to link to external resources.
- As a member I want to share openly without violating client confidentiality.
- As a member I want a profile page or ability to link to a profile page so people can get to know me.
- As a member I want to invite friends and peers to the community.
- As a member I want a way to reach out to other members.
- As a member I'd like multiple ways to participate (even face-to-face...)
- As a lurker I want to view community content across all my devices.
- As a lurker I want my read-only participation to remain anonymous.
- As a lurker I want to have the ability to become a participating member.
- As a lurker I'd like multiple ways to participate (even only a spectator)
- As a steward I want a way to push notifications to community members.
- As a steward I want to prevent confidential information entering the community.
- As a steward I want to remove content and block members who are adding inappropriate content (ie. spam, adult content, sales information, self promotion).
- As a steward I want to reduce internet trolls.
- As a steward I want a common hashtag(s) for the community.