Build an understanding;
Create a good understanding of online reputation management, the two queries that yield good reference toward this are;
- Follow the home-base and outpost approach, post everywhere, post often.
- After reading a post or article and you have a comment, make it, and in the author profile link back to your home-base.
- As soon a you become aware of a new social media site be sure to secure your name on the site, have your profile refer back to your home-base.
- Write, produce, create resources that have some weight and add to the discussion within your chosen subject area. Be thorough, frequent, reference others and create quality!
- Set up Google Alerts on your name and other keywords in your chosen subject; monitor these.
- Review your traffic statistics, get a sense of why people are coming to your resources, and which keywords they are getting them to you.
The goal of all this is to have the people you consider experts within your chosen area of study begin to follow you and make comment on your works. These people become your Personal Learning Network!