This month has become more about standing up technology than it has been talking to people about their ocean data needs. That's ok... if you are building a technology company, you need to build technology. Ocean of Data Endeavours (ODE) is about building and utilizing software towards making it super easy to work with data, large amounts of data.
The last 10 days have been about refreshing a server infrastructure I stood up 12 years ago for a number of other projects. What was left was a couple of simple websites, some domain hosting, and all the related mail server infrastructure. All of this needed a complete refresh to be brought up to date;
- Rebuild the server infrastructure to have more horsepower. - DONE
- Upgrade the Ubuntu OS from 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) to 20.04 (Focal Fossa). - DONE
- Rework all the domain aliases to remove dependency on a domain I no longer owned. - DONE
- Do some basic security work to the server. Mostly SSH focused. - DONE
- Create a new mail server, and do some mailbox maintenance. - DONE
- Install Apache2 httpd host. - DONE
- Configure Apache2 for a couple of web sites. - DONE
- Code some basic HTML to confirm the sites are working. - DONE
- Celebrate! http://endeavours.com/
So good to have all this done. The server will provide a strong foundation and is well prepared for the ELK stack and the first load of ocean data. So excited!