Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Agile Instructional Design: A concept map

I am in the midst of writing a series of posts on Agile Instructional Design (AID). And as I draw on my previous experiences and writings to deepen this current work I am also 'eating my own dog food' so to speak. I have a need to deepen my understanding of HTML5 and mobile device software development within a three-tier architecture. I am not a beginner programmer or beginner solutions architect. I am coming at this with 25 years experience, that includes professional experience in all sides of this technology architecture. It is the HTML5 with focus on a mobile first strategy that where the learning is. This offers me the opportunity to have a real life situation to practice. And I believe that most life long learners could follow this approach to designing their own learning and provide a curriculum map and a way to know they are finished.

A couple months back I resurrected my writings on Agile Instructional Design with the purpose of revisiting it, updating it and providing more depth as a working approach to personal curriculum mapping and designing your own learning. After this first post on the approach as a whole I settled into a few required research tasks so I could write the follow-up on post describing how to ENVISION the curriculum within AID. Three posts came from this work, with the final post describing how the ENVISION step works within AID.
  1. Narcissism and Presentism
  2. Personal Curriculum Mapping (PCM)
  3. Agile Instructional Design - ENVISION
One of the outcomes of the ENVISION step is an artefact that captures a persons thoughts and current understanding of the knowledge domain so they can start identifying areas of learning. Keep in mind that AID can also work for groups, as it will also work well with more ambitious and larger learning projects. Once a person (or group) has this first draft describing some of the attributes of a knowledge domain the learning can begin. This is the FIRST concept map for my learning about building Mobile Web Applications. I stress the word FIRST for there will be iterations of this concept map as I iterate through my learning to the point where I believe I am finished and have acquired the skills and knowledge I require for building HTML5 mobile applications within a three-tier architecture.